This recipe is my Grandma’s favourite! It was passed down to her from her mother, who got it from her mother. So, this is a 4th generation recipe. It’s very easy to make! It takes about 20 minutes. Try and work with ingredients at room temperature.
- 2 cups granulated sugar (250 grams)
- ½ cup butter at room temperature (115 grams)
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- ¾ cup cocoa powder (85 grams)
- 1 ½ cup cake flour (165 grams)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup of almond milk (250 ml)
- 1 cup hot water (250 ml)
- Coconut oil, butter or any light-tasting oil for pan greasing
Here’s how it’s done:
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2) Using a hand-held or stand-up mixer, cream the butter and sugar at medium-low speed. Slowly add in the eggs one a time and mix well until smooth.
3) Add the remaining ingredients except for the hot water. Mix with a wooden spoon or on very low speed with the mixer. Slowly add in the hot water, mixing until a smooth batter is formed.
4) Grease a 9×9 inch square pan (23×23 cm) or a 9inch (23 cm) bundt cake pan. You can use any shape of pan you like! Bake for 40 minutes. To see if it’s done, place a long toothpick or something very skinny into the centre of the cake. If it comes out clean, it’s done! If not, the cake still has some baking to do. Place it back in the oven and keep checking every five minutes until your skinny thing comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool before cutting it or taking it out of the pan.
Note: This cake is really pretty when it’s lightly dusted with icing/confectioners’ sugar. Allow the cake to cool ten minutes and then sprinkle icing sugar over the cake with a sifter or mesh strainer.