Easy Pumpkin Pie
Here’s my recipe for easy pumpkin pie — a dessert I love as much as fall itself. This is quite a simple pumpkin pie recipe. You can use a real pumpkin and bake it for about an hour at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (a small one, you cut it in half and take the seeds out first). I was kind of lazy and bought canned pumpkin. Next time I would love to try it with real pumpkin. You can either make your own pie crust (simple pie crust recipe below) or buy one.
Ingredients – pie crust:
- 1 3/4 cups of all-purpose flour (105 grams)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup cold, unsalted butter (115 grams)
- 6-8 tablespoons cold water
Ingredients – pumpkin pie filling:
- 1 1/2 cups pureed pumpkin (canned or fresh) (330 grams)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (60 ml)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar (55 grams)
- 1/2 cup almond milk (125 ml)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
How to make THE pumpkin pie
1. First make the pie crust. In a large bowl mix the flour and salt. Then cut the butter into the flour using a pastry cutter or two butter knives. What I did was first shave the butter off with a butter knife and then I mixed it using the pastry cutter and eventually my hands. You want the mixture to be in pea-sized pieces. You can use your hands towards the end, but not too much because it’s important for the butter to stay cold. Once it’s in pea-sized pieces, slowly add the water. First add 6 tablespoons and mix it with a wooden spoon until the dough comes together. Add more water if necessary until the dough is one big ball. Cover the bowl and place in the fridge for about 20- 30 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius).
3. In a large bowl, combine all of the fillings for the pie filling – everything!! You can whisk the eggs before adding them in a separate bowl if you wish. Mix everything together with a wooden spoon until the mixture is smooth. Set side.
4. Take the chilled pie dough out of the fridge. Roll out the dough onto a floured surface using a rolling pin. Place your pie plate over the dough to see how spread out you need the dough to be. For a 25 cm (~10 inches) pie plate, it should be about 27 cm (~10.5 inches) in diameter. Place the pie dough into the pie dish and press it lightly to it it into the pan.
5. Next, pour the filling into the unbaked pie crust. Place in the oven and bake for 1 hour (60 minutes).
6. Let cool for about 1/2 an hour (or longer) before cutting. Enjoy ♥