Yesterday I made chocolate mousse – or mouse au chocolat as the the French would say! I’ve discovered that this classy and classic dessert is easy to make. I had some extra egg whites to use up, so I thought of one of all-time favourite treats and added rosewater to it for a new twist.
It’s quick to make, you just need a bit of time to let it sit and firm up in the fridge (a minimum of 4 hours).
Here’s the ingredients:
- 3 -4 ounces of dark chocolate (= 3 -4 squares, if you just use three you can add a tablespoon of cocoa powder, as I did. If you use extra dark chocolate squares, add a tablespoon of sugar when you take the melted chocolate off the heat. )
- 3 egg yolks
- 6 egg whites (you can use 5 egg whites, dessert will just be less fluffy)
- 1 teaspoon of rosewater
Here’s how you make it:
1. Melt the chocolate in a double broiler. If you don’t have one, you can also place a smaller pan inside a larger one that’s filled with water, as I did.
2. Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites.
3. If the chocolate is still melting, begin to beat the egg whites. If the chocolate has melted already, remove it from the heat and set it aside. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks are formed.
4. Add the egg yolks to the chocolate one at a time, stirring well with a small whisk. then add the rosewater and still well until the mixture is shiny and smooth.
5. Gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture until well blended. I used a large metal spoon. Make sure to scrape the crevices around the bottom of the pan to get all the melted chocolate. The mixture will be airy and runny, but don’t worry, it will set in the fridge.
6. Pour the mixture into 4 – 6 dessert bowls or a large serving dish. I used ramekins – the same ones I used to make creme brulee. Put these in the on a plate in the fridge – an upper shelf so that nothing falls on them, you can also place them in a container – and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
7. Remember of course that too much sugar isn’t good! There is also a vegan way to make this – with avocados or soft tofu and cocoa power, I’ve had both before and they are both quite nice. As you’ll find, this delight is easier than you think to make. Enjoy!!